OSVehicle is the group behind the open source car hardware platform named the Tabby Evo. The company has now released EDIT: an open source platform for customizing the Tabby Evo for specific purposes.
The company looks to solve a number of problems associated with the traditional car manufacturing industry:
- For most the time to market is too long.
- The investments of some millions of USD is not feasible for many companies
- Customizing the vehicle is a necessity, not only for branding but also for specific features for services and advanced ones like connected car and self-driving
- Services are growing, but most transportation-related services are struggling to be sustainable financially and environmentally because they employ traditional vehicles, vehicles not designed and engineered for their specific services, that often under heavy usage breaks in less than 2 years
- Self-Driving startups are struggling with reverse engineering and to cost-effectively integrate the newest technology into the closed design of cars already in the market.